Friday, November 21, 2008

What to do with Tons of Instant Oatmeal?


Well we have an abundance of instant oatmeal right now. Due to coupons and sales I have gotten a lot of delicious flavors for next to nothing.

I will start this off by informing you that I am NOT a morning person. I really hate mornings. I am a night person and no matter how much I have tried to change this schedule it just won't work. So the girls get up at 6am and I get up at 6:30am. Their breakfast is done and over before I crawl out of bed. Now that my girls are a little older, 10 and almost 13 (less than a month). They handle their own breakfast in the morning. They can make bacon and eggs or of course cereal. But I always try to keep things available that are easy. Like homemade waffles and pancakes frozen, all they have to do is reheat.
So I thought maybe I could do something with all that instant oatmeal that would give them a super quick and easy breakfast.

I found a great muffin recipe that called for left over oatmeal. So I figured why couldn't I just use the instant?! My girls, hubby, sister and I have all thoroughly enjoyed these muffins.

Here is what you will need:

1 cup Self Rising Flour
3/4c sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 stick butter (melted)
3 packets instant oatmeal
boiling water
3 bowls

In one bowl mix the flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl gently whisk the egg and then add in the melted butter. Stir that together. In the third bowl add enough boiling water to the 3 packets of instant oatmeal that it is a thick consistency of oatmeal. Once the oatmeal is mixed well add it to the wet ingredients and stir them until blended. Then add the wet to the dry and mix them well. The batter will be thick.
Grease a muffin pan and add the batter. Cook 15-18 minutes on 350. (mine didn't take quite as long) This will make 1 dozen regular sized muffins.

The last batch I made I used Active Lifestyle Maple Brown Sugar and Pecan and they were delicious. I got this box of oatmeal free using Cellfire!

For more great recipes check out the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap!




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have tons of instant oatmeal as well.....I bet peaches and cream would be good!

Amber said...

Peaches and cream does sound good. :)

I look forward to trying all the flavors we have on hand!