Saturday, October 4, 2008

Helping Others a Little at a Time

I have always felt strongly that it is important for my family to help others. I have tried to instill this in the hearts of my children. They are already asking if I have presents tucked up in the closet to donate to their school at Christmas time (and I do).

I am not writing this to toot my own horn; I am writing this because my heart cries out for those in need. I know what it is like to grow up very poor after my parents divorced. I know what it is like to have my house burn down as a teenager and lose everything.

When my parents divorced and my mom found out she had cancer, (I was 12) it was devastating. That Christmas, gentleman from our small hometown showed up at our home with food and gifts. When our house burned to the ground (I was 17 and my sisters were 15 and 12) our little town banded together and showed up with tons of cute gently used clothes, makeup, curling irons...everything that 3 teenage girls needed to go to school the next day and feel good about themselves.

I could sit and name so many amazing things that God has done for me and my family over the years--the generosity He put into so many hearts.

I truly believe that God has called me to help out my family, to help out locally, and to help in any situation possible. There are already certain things I do on a regular basis to help out. They may not be huge, but every little thing can help.

I am very thankful that I am learning how to coupon shop and find all these cheap deals and sometimes free items. For the same amount of money I was spending on our household I can also get items to help my sisters and my grandparents. Plus I am planning to start making donations at our local Ministerial Alliance.

There are many things you can do to help someone without even spending any money. Time can also be a big help. I am sure there is someone in your family or church who is elderly or pregnant or ill that you could help by doing things such as

  • do a little cleaning for them
  • mow their yard
  • wash their car
  • cook them a meal
Little things do make a difference!!

God bless you!



Bible Gateway.com

Matthew 25:35-36

35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

0 comments: