Sunday, September 14, 2008

What to Do With 7 Bags of Chex Mix?


After my Walgreens shopping trip I came home with 7 bags of Chex original flavor. Well my girls immediately took off with one bag. As for the other I decided to make homemade 100 calorie packs.

100 calorie packs are hot commodities. My girls love them, my hubby loves them, heck even I love them. They are a convenient little snack and they keep you from scarfing the whole bag.

Most 100 calories packs are at least $2.50 for 6 pkgs or 41 1/2 cents per package.

So for ours we took the 6 bags of Chex and 1 bag of Hershey's Milk Chocolate Chips. ($1.98)
I added 1/3 cups choc chips to each bag of Chex, shook it up well and then divided into 1/2 cup portions. Each portion was put into a snack size bag. Each bag of Chex made 9 100 calorie packs.

Our homemade 100 calorie packs cost $1.25 for 9 pkgs or 13.8 cents per package.

Our 6 bags of Chex made 54 100 calorie packs.....not bad!

So now I am thinking of all the ways I can make our own individual snacks for less.

  • make your own mini cookies or muffins
  • homemade trail mix
  • repackage your own favorite chips or crackers
  • repackage your own favorite candies
Make or buy the bigger packages and then divide them up. They are great for lunches or grabbing a snack on the go.

0 comments: