Saturday, August 30, 2008

Cutting out the Unnecessary Cleaning Supplies


Cleaning products can be very expensive. Not to mention there are certain products for every little spot in your home.

I have cut my supplies down to the bare minimum. At this time I only am using vinegar, comet and occasionally bleach.

In an old windex bottle I have a mixture of 1/3 vinegar to 2/3 water. I use this for mirrors and windows. I also use it for wiping down the kitchen table and counters.

Comet is super cheap and I think it works best if you have a stain on the counter top or in the tub. Now if you have certain types of countertops you will probably have to clean with something else.

When I mop the kitchen floor I either do a mixture of vinegar and water or bleach and water. Just depends on how dirty I feel the floor is. If I think it is really bad I drag out the bleach.

I also use comet for the toilet bowl. I use my vinegar spray for the exterior of the toilet and the bathroom sink.

I have started looking into all the things I can do with baking soda, it is super cheap and great for many cleaning projects.

5 comments:

smbwallace said...

Vinegar is great for cleaning. I clean everything with that and baking soda!

poohbear said...

Thanks for the tips. Does the smell of the vinegar ever get to you? I know it bothers me. Can you add something else to it to cover the smell with out mixing chemicals? Just a thought. Let me know if you find any safe solutions for my vinegar problem. LOL. Have a great Labor day!!

poohbear63083

Amber said...

The smell of the vinegar dosen't bother me at all. Maybe you can dilute it a little more??

There was an episode of Jon and Kate plus 8 where the mixed vinegar, baking soda and water to clean with but I haven't been able to find it yet. Not sure how much of each item. I do know that the baking soda will bubble up pretty good.

I will keep trying to find it! :)

We are off for a family day tomorrow to the State Fair. You have a great holiday too.

poohbear said...

Thanks Amber,

I did find this site. It says apple cider vinegar works for cleaning as well as lots of other things.

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/

Maybe that would be the way to go for those of us that don't like the smell of vinegar. I imagine something with apples would smell lots better. LOL.

poohbear

Amber said...

Have you smelled apple cider vinegar?? It is pretty strong!! LOL

When my kids were little we used it as "Whiney Medicine"

I had read it in some child rearing book, when they were being really sassy or back talking you just take a teeny drop and touch it to the tip of their tongue. Let me tell you it worked. After my oldest daughter had it once, all I would have to say is "do you need some whiney medicine?" and that would calm her right down.
LOL

It might work better for you than the white. I will still see if I can find that article, I know on the episode that Sara Snow was there helping them with green cleaning.